My current projects:
1/ Ethics of Pandemic Response
I am leading the American Medical Association's Journal of Ethics (https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/home) theme issue for January 2020 on the ethics of pandemic response, with a special focus on the Ebola epidemic. If interested in contributing, please contact me directly.
- Karan A. Caring about the Congo shouldn’t require an Ebola epidemic. The Boston Globe. Dec 2018. https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2018/12/05/caring-about-congo-shouldn-require-ebola-epidemic/nGrAwt0CVJNUkAPAXzr85L/story.html
- Karan A. The Most Important Tool for Doctors Fighting DRC’s Ebola Crisis Isn’t Medicine. HuffPost.Nov 2018. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-ebola-drc-trust_us_5bf57664e4b0eb6d930a81e5
- Karan A, Katz IT, Jha AK. Ebola in the DRC is more about the DRC than it is about Ebola. Health Affairs Blog. Nov 2018. Available at: https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20181115.584389/full/
- Karan A, Mukherjee J. We Need to Stop Ebola—For the Right Reasons. PLoS Global Health Blog. Sep 2018. Available at: https://blogs.plos.org/globalhealth/2018/09/we-need-to-stop-ebola-for-th...
- Karan A, Pogge T. Ebola and the need for restructuring pharmaceutical incentives. Journal of Global Health. 2015 Jun;5(1):010303. doi: 10.7189/jogh.05.010303.
- Karan A. #Ebola. The Medicine Maker (Pharmaceutical Industry Magazine based out of the UK). Winter 2015 Issue. https://themedicinemaker.com/issues/1115/ebola/
We have developed and patented a 3-day long insect repellent, and are currently looking into global health systems applications to prevent vector-borne epidemics. We won first place at the 2018 Harvard Business School New Venture Competition. See our work here
3/ Sex Trafficking, Mental Health, and Gender Violence
I am analyzing data from my study investigating cultural sex work in Northern India. Publications from this work thus far include:
- "The ethical implications of culture: challenges in the care of female sex workers in India." Journal of Global Health Reports. Available at: http://www.joghr.org/article/2/joghr-02-e2018002/current
- "Does the Stockholm Syndrome Affect Female Sex Workers? The Case for a 'Sonagachi Syndrome'." BMC International Health and Human Rights. Available at: https://bmcinthealthhumrights.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12914-...
- "Women in India's Cultural Sex Trade Need Healthcare" Huffington Post. Available at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-healthcare-is-essential-to-over...
- "The Surprising Wishes of India's Sex Workers" NPR. Available at: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/04/30/518156410/the-surpr...
- "From Delhi Slums to Los Angeles Wards: Lessons from a Year Working Against Sex Trafficking." Journal of General Internal Medicine. Available at: https://www.sgim.org/web-only/medical-humanities/from-delhi-slums-to-los...