1. Theory of Magic Angle Twisted Bilayer Graphene - Entwining Flavor and Superconducting Orders.
2. Topological Insulators and Related Phases with Strong Interactions
Les Houches 2014 :
Outline - Quantum phases of matter and Short Range Entanglement
Lecture Notes - Short range entalged topological phases, coupled wires and effective field theories. Beyond Chern insulators - Extending the classification of topological phases in 2+1D . Interaction effects on topological insulators and superconductors - surface topological order and interaction reduction of free fermion classification in 3+1D
- Lecture Videos
Physics 268r: Special Topics in Quantum Matter:
This is a special topics course on quantum systems of many particles, i.e. quantum matter. We will study well defined microscopic models, such as simple spin models, representing electrons in solids or atoms in optical lattices, which will be shown to give rise to remarkable new excitations, from `sound’ and `light’, to fermions and even more exotic `anyon’ excitations. Often, (but not always) we will use field theory to describe this physics, which may also help demystify the origin of quantum field theory in a physical setting free from `infinities’.
This course will make contact with recent research directions such as topological order, quantum criticality and dualities
An earlier version of this course with lecture notes can be found here ______________________
Some Previous Courses:
Fall 2018: Physics 268R Special Topics in Quantum Matter.
- Spring 2017. Physics 181 Statistical Mechanics Syllabus
- Phy211 (Spring 2016) 'Statistical Mechanics'
- Phy212 (Fall 2015) 'Advanced Statistical Mechanics'
- Phy216 (Fall 2014) 'Quantum Magnetism & Strongly Correlated Electronic Systems'
- Phy 250 (Fall 2013) 'Demystifying Quantum Field Theory'