- Ph.D. in Economics, Paris School of Economics, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (FR)
- M.A. in Applied Economics, Johns Hopkins University (US)
- M.Sc. in International Finance, Cass Business School, City University London (UK)
- B.B.A., Olayan School of Business, American University of Beirut (LB)
Postdoctoral Research Papers:
- Sanctions and Export Deflection: Evidence from Iran, Economic Policy, April 2017, Vol. 32(90), pp. 319-355.
- Implementing Structural Reforms in Abenomics: How to Reduce the Cost of Doing Business in Japan (with Takeo Hoshi), also available as NBER Working Paper 21507.
- Do Political Connections Reduce Job Creation? Evidence from Lebanon (with Ishac Diwan)
Predoctoral Research Papers:
- Bridging Iranian Exporters with Foreign Markets: Does Diaspora Matter? , Journal of Economic Integration, September 2016, Vol. 31(3), pp. 609-630, with Seyed Hossein Mirjalili.
- Can the Euro Survive?, The World Economy, March 2015, Vol. 38(3), pp. 553-567.
Trade Facilitation and Country Size, Empirical Economics, December 2014, Vol. 47(4), pp. 1441-1466, with Mohammad Amin.
The Impact of Business Regulatory Reforms on Economic Growth, Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, September 2012, Vol. 26(3), pp. 285-307.
Trade and Productivity: Self Selection or Learning-by-Exporting in India, Economic Modelling, September 2012, Vol. 29(5), pp. 1766-1773.
The Cost of Registering Property: Does Legal Origin Matter?, Empirical Economics, June 2012, Vol. 42(3), pp. 1035-1050, with Mohammad Amin.
Currency Crises Transmission through International Trade, Economic Modelling, March 2012, Vol. 29(2), pp. 151-157.
Sovereign Credit Risk in the Euro Zone, World Economics -- The Oxford Institute for Economic Policy, March 2012.
Currency Valuation and Purchasing Power Parity, World Economics -- The Oxford Institute for Economic Policy, September 2011.
Investor Protections and Economic Growth, Economics Letters, April 2009, Vol. 103(1), pp. 1-4.
Policy Reports, Briefs, and Blogs:
- Creating Jobs Through Pro-Market Rather Than Pro-Business Policies, (with Ishac Diwan), Lebanese Center for Policy Studies Policy Brief, February 2017.
- Sanctions and Export Deflection, The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, edited by Steven N. Durlauf and Lawrence E. Blume, September 2016.
- Going Beyond Doing Business to Foster Job Creation in Arab Countries, (with Hedi Larbi), Economic Research Forum Policy Brief, April 2016.
- Using the World Bank Doing Business Ranking to Inform Economic Reforms in Japan, (with Takeo Hoshi), VoxEu-CEPR, October 2015.
- Business Regulations in Lebanon: Where Are We? Where Do We Go Now?, The World Bank Blog, January 2013.
- Do Business Regulatory Reforms Impact Growth?, The World Bank Blog, May 2012.
- Arab Exporters: Are They Different?, VoxEu-CEPR, February 2012.
- Doing Business 2012, (Team member), The World Bank and International Finance Corporation, October 2011.
- Doing Business 2009, (Team member), The World Bank and International Finance Corporation, October 2008.
Competitiveness from Innovation, not Inheritance, (with Karim Belayachi), in Celebrating Reform 2008 (edited by Simeon Djankov), The World Bank and International Finance Corporation, July 2008.
How to Raise Revenues by Lowering Fees, in Celebrating Reform 2008 (edited by Simeon Djankov), The World Bank and International Finance Corporation, July 2008.
Doing Business in the Philippines 2008, The World Bank and International Finance Corporation, May 2008, Co-author.
Doing Business in Egypt 2008, The World Bank and International Finance Corporation, January 2008, Co-author.
- How Efficiently is Capital Created? Evidence from Property Registration Reform in Egypt, in Smart Lessons in Advisory Services, International Finance Corporation, November 2007.