- Special Issue on Dynamics of Insurance Markets: Structure, Conduct, and Performance in the 21st Century
- Revised from NBER Working Paper No. 6011, April 1997, Harvard Business School Working Paper No. 98-024, 1997.
- Winner of Robert C. Witt Award Given annually for the best feature article in the Journal of Risk and Insurance presented by American Risk and Insurance Association.
- Revised from NBER Working Paper no. 10184, Harvard Business School Working Paper no. 04-035, December 2003.
Revised from NBER Working Paper No. 8110, February 2001. Reprinted in The Economics of Natural Hazards, part of the International Library of Critical Writings in Economics series edited by Mark Blaug, U.K.: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2003.
IFCI Geneva Research Paper No. 8
Reprinted in Risk Management: The State of the Art, edited by S. Figlewski and R. Levich, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001.
Revised from NBER Working Paper No. 6025, May 1997, and HBS Working Paper No. 98-023, September 1997.
Revised from NBER Working Paper No. 6043, May 1997, and HBS Working Paper No. 98-018, September 1997.
- Winner of the 1998 Journal of Financial Economics Jensen Prize for first place for the best paper in the areas of corporate finance and organizations.
- Revised from NBER Working Paper No. 5403, January 1996 and Harvard Business School Working Paper 96-030, December 1995.
Originally "Special Report from Guy Carpenter and Company, Inc.," July 1995.
Revised from "Developing a Risk Management Strategy," Harvard Business School Working Paper No. 95-021. Reprinted in Bank of America Journal of Applied Corporate Finance 7, no. 3 (fall 1994): 22-32; Marsh & McLennan Companies' Viewpoint 24 (spring 1995): 21-37; and in Corporate Risk: Strategies and Management, edited by Greg Brown and Don Chew, London: Risk Books, December 1999.
- Revised from NBER Working Paper No. 4084, February 1993.
- Reprinted in RAE-Revista de Administração de Empresas, Management Journal of Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV-EAESP), Business School for Administration in Sao Paulo, Brazil, volume no. 48, issue no. 1 (January-March 2008): 87-118.
- Reprinted in Insurance and Risk Management, Volume II, Corporate Risk Management, Part I: Theory on Why and How Firms Manage Risk, Chapter 3, edited by Gregory R. Niehaus, U.K.: Edward Elgar Publishing (October 2008). Also in M.J. Brennan, The Theory of Corporate Finance from The International Library of Critical Writings in Financial Economics, edited by R. Roll, 1995; and in Merton Miller and Chris Culp, eds. Corporate Hedging in Theory and Practice: Lessons from Metallgesellschaft, Risk Books, 1999.
Revised from NBER Working Paper No. 2914, March 1989.