Human Rights Section, International Studies Association, Distinguished Scholar Award, 2019
Harvard Kennedy School, The Raymond Vernon Commemorative Award, 2019, “for providing mentorship to advance opportunities for junior faculty members to excel and succeed in the field of Public Policy.”
PI, National Science Foundation, SES Division, Grant No. 1228519, “Alternative Accountabilities for Past Human Rights Abuses,” September 2012–August 2014, $290,000.
- Regents Professor, University of Minnesota, 2006–present
- Distinguished McKnight University Professor, University of Minnesota, 2005–2009
- Distinguished Teaching Award: Award for Outstanding Contributions to Postbaccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education, University of Minnesota, 2003–2004
- Scholar of the College, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2000–2002
- McKnight-Land Grant Professorship, University of Minnesota, 1991–1993
International Studies Association
Chadwick Alger Award
for Best Book
in the area of International Organizations (2000) for
Activists beyond Borders: Advocacy Networks in International Politics, 1998.
International Studies Association’s J. Ann Tickner Award, 2015.
International Studies Association’s Susan Strange Award, 2013.
PI, National Science Foundation, SES Division, Grant No. 0961226, “The Impact of Transitional Justice on Human Rights and Democracy,” June 2010–August 2012, $311,000.
Member, Council on Foreign Relations, 2002–present.
The WOLA/Duke Human Rights Book Award (2011) for The Justice Cascade: How Human Rights Prosecutions are Changing World Politics, 2011.
Charles Merriam Award, 2013
Robert F. Kennedy Center Book Award (2012) for The Justice Cascade: How Human Rights Prosecutions are Changing World Politics, 2011.
Grawemeyer Award for Ideas Improving World Order, 2000
American Philosophical Society, Member, 2013–present.
Fulbright Scholar Award, Argentina, 2001–2002