I am a passionate advocate for diversity, equity, and justice in STEM. I design and run workshops on social justice, serve on a range of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion committees, and am regularly invited on panels on improving diversity in STEM education.
LGBT+STEM day blog post in Nature Physics
I wrote a blog post on the arc toward social justice in equity for LGBT+ scientists [November 2020]
IDEA at Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Accountability
Together with a group of concerned young scientists, I published a series of suggestions to make the annual Lindau Nobel Laureate meetings even more diverse and inclusive. Our ideas also apply to other conferences and professional settings [July 2020].
Best Practices Guide for LGBT+ inclusivity in Physics and Astronomy
As a member of the American Astronomical Society's Committee on Sexual and Gender Minorities in Astronomy (SGMA), I published the second edition of the Best Practices Guide for LGBT+ inclusivity in Physics and Astronomy [April 2018].
UC Berkeley Climate Survey (2017)
I helped write the UC Berkeley Astronomy Climate survey, interpret the results, and formulate actions for change [December 2017].
UC Berkeley Climate Survey (2016)
I helped write the UC Berkeley Astronomy Climate Survey, analyzed the results, and prepared this report along with the other Astronomy Climate Advisors [October 2016].
Panels & Invited Talks
- Equity, Advocacy, and Justice, panel at 2020 STEM Village Virtual Symposium [August 2020].
Panel discussion on the Lindau Guidelines with three Nobel Laureates and another young scientist [July 2020].
- Applying for physics/astrophysics PhDs (panel), Department of Physics, University of Bath [March 2020].
- LGBT+ careers, panel at University of Bath [February 2020].
- Q+/Alumni Network Launch Workshop, University of Cambridge [February 2020].
- Out in STEM, panel at University of California, Santa Cruz [May 2018].
Current Diversity Committees
- International Staff Reference Group: 15-member committee at the University of Bath to advocate for diversity and equity at the University level for international members of the University [2020 - ].
- Department Self-Assessment Team (DSAT): postdoctoral representative, for improving workplace culture in the Department of Physics at the University of Bath [2019 - ].
- Kaleidoscope, Academic Staff Representative: a group for LGBT+ staff and postgraduate students at the University of Bath [2019 - ].
In the past
- I helped edit, and proposed several changes to the annual climate survey for the Department of Physics at the University of Bath to investigate microagressions and canvass for bystander intervention in the workplace [June 2020].
- I served on the American Astronomical Society's Committee on Sexual and Gender Minorities in Astronomy (SGMA) to improve workplace climate in astronomy in the United States [2017 - 2019].
- I founded AstroQ, a networking listserv for LGBT+ astronomers at the University of California, Berkeley [April 2016].
- I served as a Climate Advisor in the Astronomy Department at UC Berkeley as a postdoctoral representative, acting as a liaison to the Berkeley Title IX office [2015 - 18].
- I founded and managed a wiki for institutionalizing graduate student knowledge and supporting PhD students in their roles within the Department of Astronomy at Harvard University [July 2010].