• NPR’s “Best Books of 2011”
• Observer Very Short List, 2011
• US reviews: Atlantic, USA Today, Chronicle of Higher Education, Newsday, Paris Review, Wall Street Journal, Choice, Boston Globe, Harvard Gazette, Books and Culture
• Reviews elsewhere: Guardian, Observer, Scotsman, Information (Denmark), West Australian, Good Reading
• Serialized in Financial Times (November 2011)
• Excerpted in New York Times Book Review (November 2011)
• Winner of the 2012 New York Book Show Award for best jacket design
Paperback reprint 2003.
Choice Outstanding Academic Book of 2000.
Chapter 2 reprinted in The Book History Reader (Routledge, 2006).
Chapter 3 translated in Nouvelles questions féministes (2003).
Subject of the 2002 symposium at the Center for the Study of the Novel, Stanford University.