The Development Century: A Global History (co-editor and contributor). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018.
Review: Foreign Affairs
Empires at War, 1911-1923 (co-editor). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014.
The Shock of the Global: The 1970s in Perspective (co-editor and contributor). Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2010.
The Wilsonian Moment: Self-Determination and the International Origins of Anticolonial Nationalism. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
Articles & Chapters
- "The Wilsonian Uprisings of 1919," in David Motadel, ed. Revolutionary World: Global Upheaval in the Modern Age. Cambridge UP, 2021.
- "Foreword: Plotting the Anti-Colonial Transnational," in Michele Louro et al., eds., The League Against Imperialism: Lives and Afterlives. Leiden UP, 2020.
"International Society as a Historical Subject," Diplomatic History 44:2 (April 2020).
- H-Diplo Review Forum on the above essay, published Sept. 11, 2020.
- "Asia in the Global 1919: Reimagining Territory, Identity, and Solidarity," Journal of Asian Studies 78:2 (May 2019).
- "Wilson and Lenin," Diplomatic History 42:4 (Sept. 2018).
- “Smallpox and the Globalization of Development,” in Stephen Macekura and Erez Manela, eds., The Development Century: A Global History. Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- “The Politics of Smallpox Eradication,” in John R. McNeill and Kenneth Pomeranz, eds., The Cambridge World History, Vol. VII: 1750-Present. Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- “Global Anti-Imperialism in the Age of Wilson,” in Ian Tyrrell and Jay Sexton, eds., Empire's Twin: U.S. Anti-imperialism from the Founding Era to the Age of Terrorism. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2015.
- “The Fourth Policeman: Franklin Roosevelt’s Vision for China’s Global Role,” in Wu Sihua et al., eds., 開羅宣言的影響與意義 / The Significance and Impact of the Cairo Declaration. Taipei: Chengchi University Press, 2014.
“The Great War as a Global War: Imperial Conflict and the Reconfiguration of World Order, 1911-1923,” Diplomatic History 38, No. 4 (Sept. 2014), 786-800 (co-authored with Robert Gerwarth).
- Revised version in Thomas W. Zeiler et al., eds., Beyond 1917: The United States and the Global Legacies of the Great War. Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Spanish translation in Historia Social, No. 92 (2018).
- "Globalizing the Great Society: Lyndon Johnson and the Pursuit of Smallpox Eradication," in Francis Gavin and Mark Lawrence, eds., Beyond the Cold War: Lyndon Johnson and the New Global Challenges of the 1960s. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- " The United States in the World," in Eric Foner and Lisa McGirr, eds., American History Now. Philadelphia, Temple University Press, 2011.
- "Woodrow Who?" Diplomatic History 35:1 (2011).
- "A Pox on Your Narrative: Writing Disease Control into Cold War History," Diplomatic History 34:2 (April 2010), 299-323. (中文-Chinese translation)
- "Smallpox Eradication and the Rise of Global Governance," in Ferguson et al., eds. The Shock of the Global: The 1970s in Perspective. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2010.
- "'Peoples of Many Races’: The World beyond Europe in the Wilsonian Imagination," in John Milton Cooper and Thomas J. Knock, eds., Jefferson, Lincoln, and Wilson: The Dilemma of Race and Democracy. University of Virginia Press, 2010.
- "Reconceiving International History," Reviews in American History 37:1 (2009).
- "The 'Wilsonian Moment' in East Asia:The March First Movement in Global Perspective," Sungkyun Journal of East Asian Studies 9:1 (2009).
- "Dawn of a New Era: The ‘Wilsonian Moment’ in Colonial Contexts and the Transformation of World Order, 1917-1920," in Sebastian Conrad and Dominic Sachsenmaier, eds., Competing Visions of World Order: Global Moments and Movements, 1880s-1930s. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
- "Imagining Woodrow Wilson in Asia: Dreams of East-West Harmony and the Revolt Against Empire in 1919," American Historical Review, 111:5 (December 2006).
- "A Man Ahead of His Time? Wilsonian Globalism and the Doctrine of Preemption," International Journal 60:4 (2005).
- "The Wilsonian Moment in India and the Crisis of Empire in 1919," in Wm. Roger Louis, ed., Yet More Adventures with Britannia. London: I.B. Tauris, 2005.
- "Goodwill and Bad: Rethinking US-Egyptian Relations in the Interwar Years," Middle Eastern Studies 38:1 (2002).
- "The Wilsonian Moment and the Rise of Anticolonial Nationalism: The Case of Egypt," Diplomacy & Statecraft 12:4 (2001).
- Review of 1916 in Global Context: An Anti-Imperial Moment, Dal Lago et al, eds.; Revolutions and Counter-Revolutions: 1917 and Its Aftermath from a Global Perspective, Rinke & Wildt, eds.; and 1917: War, Peace, and Revolution, by David Stevenson. Journal of Modern History 92:2 (June 2020).
- Introduction to Roundtable Review on How to Hide an Empire, by Daniel Immerwahr. H-Diplo, November 2019.
- "Where in the World Is the Periphery?" Review of Foreign Policy at the Periphery: The Shifting Margins of US International Relations since World War II, Bevan Sewell and Maria Ryan, eds. Diplomatic History 42:4 (Sept. 2018).
- Review of Outside In: The Transnational Circuitry of US History. Andrew Preston and Doug Rossinow, eds. Journal of Interdisciplinary History 49:1 (summer 2018).
- Review of The Guardians: The League of Nations and the Crisis of Empire, by Susan Pedersen. Part of roundtable discussion in Il mestiere di storico, 8:1 (2017).
- Review of Making the Empire Work: Labor and United States Imperialism, Daniel E. Bender and Jana K. Lipman, eds. Journal of Interdisciplinary History 47:2 (2016).
- Introduction to Roundtable Review of The Guardians: The League of Nations and the Crisis of Empire, by Susan Pedersen. H-Diplo, September 2016.
- Article Review of “The United States and the Curious History of Self-Determination,” by Brad Simpson, Diplomatic History 36:4. H-Diplo, September 2014.
- Review of The Global Lincoln, Richard Carwardine and Jay Sexton, eds. Journal of American Studies 47:4 (2013).
- Review of A World Connecting, 1870-1945, by Emily S. Rosenberg, Ed. H-Diplo, July 2013.
- Review of The Right Kind of Revolution: Modernization, Development, and U.S. Foreign Policy from the Cold War to the Present, by Michael E. Latham. Journal of Cold War Studies 15:1 (January 2013).
- Review of The Hungry World: America's Cold War Battle against Hunger in Asia, by Nick Cullather. Passport, Jan. 2012.
- Review of Strangers on the Western Front: Chinese Workers in the Great War, by Guoqi Xu. American Historical Review (October 2011).
- Review of Transplanting the Great Society: Lyndon Johnson and Food for Peace, by Kristin L. Ahlberg. Journal of Cold War Studies 12:3 (Summer 2010).
- Review of Woodrow Wilson, by John Milton Cooper, Jr. Boston Globe, 29 Nov. 2009.
- Review on The Crisis in American Foreign Policy: Wilsonianism in the Twenty-first Century, by G. John Ikenberry, Thomas J. Knock, Anne-Marie Slaughter, and Tony Smith, eds. H-Diplo, July 2009.
- "Race, Civilization, and International Society," review of The Politics of Anti-Westernism in Asia: Visions of World Order in Pan-Islamic and Pan-Asian Thought, by Cemil Aydin. H-Net Reviews, January 2009.
- "Woodrow Wilson and Colonel House," review of Woodrow Wilson’s Right Hand: The Life of Colonel Edward M. House, by Godfrey Hodgson. Diplomatic History 31:2 (April 2007).
- Review of Occidentalism: The West in the Eyes of Its Enemies, by Ian Buruma & Avishai Margalit. International Journal 60:1 (Winter 2004-2005).