(>40 publications, citation: >1400 with h-index: 21, i-10 index: 26)
News and Events
The review "Biomaterials and Bioengineering Approaches for Mitochondria and Nuclear Targeting Drug Delivery" On front cover of April issue
CRS OrDD Trainee of the Month by Focus Group Oral Drug Delivery of Controlled Release Society
Biomedical Application of Graphene and 2D Nanomaterials, Edited and Co-writen by Md Nurunnabi and Jason R. McCarthy Published by Elsevier.
Early Career Board of ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, an interdisciplinary peer-reviewed journal publish by American Chemical Society
Postdoc Profile "Meet Md Nurunnabi" Highlighted by Mass General Research Institute Blog
"Dr. Nurunnabi's Motivations and Way to Harvard" By Dr. Enamul Hoque at Daily Observer
People who glorifying Korea- Biological Research Information Center (Korea)
Op-Ed: Nanomedicine: The next big weapon to fight cancer by Md Nurunnabi in The Daily Star a Bangladeshi English Daily Newspaper
Served as President of Mass General Postdoc Association from 2017-2018
Served as Secretary of Harvard Medical Postdoc Association from 2016-2017
Selected Publications as Lead Author (First/co-first): (>40 Peer-review journal articles and >10 book chapters)
- Nurunnabi M, Khatun Z, Badruduzza AZM, McCarthy J, Lee YK, Huh KM. Biomaterials and Bioengineering Approaches for Mitochondria and Nuclear Targeting Drug Delivery. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 2019, DOI: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.8b01615 (*Most read article and selected for front cover of April issue.)
- [Kim YG, S Uthaman, Nurunnabi M], Kang HC. Lee Y. Huh KM. Synthesis and Characterization of Bioreducible cationic biarm polymer for efficient gene delivery. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2018, 110, 366-374.
- Nurunnabi M,Lee SA, Revuri V, Cho S, Lee M, Byun Y, Bae YH, Lee DY, Lee Y. Oral gene delivery of GLP1 by riding enterohepatic circulation. Journal of Controlled Release, 2017, 268, 305-313.
- [Lee D-Y, Nurunnabi M], Kang SH, Nafiujjaman M, Lee Y, Kim Y. Oral gavage delivery of PR8 antigen with β-glucan conjugated GRGDS carrier enhance M-cell targeting ability and induce immunity. Biomacromolecules, 2017, 18 (4), 1172–1179.
- Nurunnabi M, Khatun, Z, Nafiujjaman M, Revuri V, Huh KM, Lee Y. Design and Stretegies of Bile acid Mediated Therapy and Imaging. RSC Advances, 2016, 6 (78), 73986-74002.
- [Nurunnabi M, Nafiujjaman M, Lee SJ], Park IK, Huh KM, Lee Y. Exfoliation of ultra-thin hexagonal boron nitride nano-sheets for cancer cell imaging and neurotransmitter sensing. Chemical Communications, 2016, 52, 6146-6149.
- [Khatun Z, Nurunnabi M], Nafiujjaman M, Reeck GR, Lee Y. Hybrid Nanogel for Photo-Chemo Theranostic of Lung Cancer with Simultaneous Light-Responsive Controlled Release of Doxorubicin. Nanoscale, 2015, 7, 10680-10689.
- Nurunnabi M, Parvez, K, Nafiujjaman M, Revuri V, Feng X, Lee Y. Bioapplication of Graphene Derivatives: Prospects and Challenges. RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 42141-42161.
- Nurunnabi M, Khatun Z, Reeck GR, Lee DY, Lee Y. Photoluminescent Graphene Nanoparticles for Cancer Photo-Therapy and Imaging. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2014, 6, 12413−12421.
- Nurunnabi M, Khatun Z, Nafiujjaman M, Lee D-g, Lee Y. Surface coating of graphene quantum dots using mussel inspired polydopamine for biomedical optical imaging. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2013, 5 (16), 8246–8253.
- Nurunnabi M, Khatun Z, Huh KM, Park SY, Lee DY, Cho KJ, Lee Y. In vivo biodistribution and toxicology of carboxylated graphene quantum dots. ACS Nano, 2013, 7 (8), 6858–6867.
- Nurunnabi M, Khatun Z, GJ, Reeck, Lee DY, Lee Y. Near infra-red photoluminescent graphene nanoparticle greatly expands use in noninvasive biomedical imaging. Chemical Communications, 2013, 49, 5079–5981.
- Nurunnabi M, Zehedina K, Moon WC, Lee G, Lee Y. Heparin based nanoparticles for cancer targeting and optical imaging in vivo. Quantitative Imaging in Medicine and Surgery, 2012, 2(3), 219–226.
- [Kim J, Nurunnabi M], Park SY, Lee Y. QDs-loaded targeted PCL/PEG/PCL triblock copolymer for cancer targeting and imaging. Macromolecular Research, 2012, 20(8), 875–882.
- [Khatun Z, Nurunnabi M], Cho KJ, Lee Y. Oral delivery of quantum dots loaded heparin nanoparticles for noninvasive imaging of gastro intestinal tract. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2012, 4, 3880–3887.
- Nurunnabi M, Cho KJ, Choi JS, Huh KM, Lee Y. Targeted near-IR QDs-loaded micelles for cancer therapy and imaging. Biomaterials, 2010, 31(20), 5436–5444.
IP/Patents (10 patents filed, 5 patents licensed)
- Huh KM, Nurunnabi M, Khatun Z, Kim YG. Sub-cellular targeting delivery systems with miktoarm polymeric carrier. Korean patent (Applied on May 2016)
- Nurunnabi M, Lee Y, Huh KM. Boron nitride nanosheets for application in optical imaging and bionsensing. Korean patent (Applied on 8th January 2016) Application # KR1020160112312A
- Nurunnabi M, Rahmatullah M, Lee Y. Glucose lowering activity of a formulation containing Indian gooseberry. Korean Patent Application Application# KR1020160021886A Licensed by KB BioMed Inc (Chungju, South Korea)
- Lee Y, Nurunnabi M. Application of photoluminescent graphene for cancer photo-therapy. Applied for Korea patent. Application# KR1020140047527A
- Lee Y, Cho KJ, Park IK, Nurunnabi M, Lee SJ, Kang SH, Liver Targeting Metal Nano-Particle Based Nucleic Acid Delivery System and Manufacturing Method Thereof. Korean Patent Application no. 2014R1A2A2A03004802, United States Patent Application 20170065724
- Bae YH, Lee Y, Nurunnabi M, Hwang HS, Kwang D. Methods and Composition of Bile Acid Particles. Application No. PCT/US2015/058375, Licensed by Ileo Science (Utah, USA)
- Lee Y, Nurunnabi M. Heparin-Docetaxel-taurocholic acid conjugate for oral anticancer drug delivery. Korean patent, Application no. KR 10-2011-0087581.
- Lee Y, Nurunnabi M. Synthetic method of near infra-red graphene quantum dots. Registration No.1014079030000 (Application no. 1020120133674) (also applied for PCT) Licensed by BioActs Inc (South Korea).
- Lee Y, Nurunnabi M, Rahmatullah M. Barley and crusted crusted rice extract a pharmaceutical composition comprising as an active ingredient. Registration no: WO2013105693 A1 (Application no. PCT/KR2012/001263) Licensed by Cheill Bio Co (South Korea.
- Lee Y, Nurunnabi M, Rahmatullah M, Pharmaceutical composition containing paddy husk and barley husk extract as activeingredient. (Korean language), Korean patent, Registration No.: 1013631110000 (Application No.: 1020120003830) Licensed by Cheill Bio Co (South Korea).
I am a Postdoctoral Fellow within John A. Paulson School of Engineering & Applied Sciences and Wyss Institute of Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University. I received M.S. and Pd.D. from Korea National University of Transportation in Chemical & Biological Engineering and Bioengineering, respectively. Prior that, I completed B.S. in Pharmacy at University of Development Alternative. In the meantime, have been involved in co-founding start-up (KB BioMed Inc) and industrial research in South Korea. My research interest focusses on incorporation of knowledge and tools from engineering, materials and biology to overcome existing barrier in targeting delivery of therapeutics and monitoring therapeutic progress non-invasively.
My graduate research focused on developing biocompatible and biostable materials to be able to “Seeing the Unseen” molecules and disease biomarkers non-invasively. Despite of existing organic dye, which are comparatively safer but unstable, and semiconductor quantum dots, which are comparatively stable but unsafe, I have been able to develop a method of synthesizing florescence dot from graphene derivatives. With tuning and manipulating the experimental factors, the 2D graphene gives various excitation and emission that ranges from blue to near-infra red. I have further utilized the fluorescence graphene o understand bio-interface, biocompatibility, potential carrier as drug delivery, as photo-therapeutic for cancer treatment and as a biosensing platform for early detection of neuro-diseases. When, I moved to utilize the fluorescence modality for non-invasive imaging of gastrointestinal tract I have found various obstacle in oral delivery of the nanoparticles that includes low-absorption, poor stability alone with extensive aggregation of hydrophobic molecules in stomach. Then, I designed a bile acid transporter mediated platform construct with polysaccharide to be able to increase stability and intestinal absorption of the fluorescent nanoparticles. With the success of non-invasive imaging of GI Tract through oral delivery of theragnostic nanoparticles, my interests further grow on oral delivery therapeutics; small molecules drug for cancer therapy and diagnosis, large molecules GLP-1 peptide for diabetes treatment and protein as immunomodulator.
My current research interest focuses on utilizing engineering tools, materials and biological knowledge to develop a biocompatible, biomimetic and yet effective platform technology to be able to “Eating the UnEaten”. My ultimate goal is to optimize the tools for delivering the therapeutics and diagnostics to the specific cell, even to the sub-cellular compartment, of interest and target.
MY CURRENT & FORMER MENTORS-
Professor Samir Mitragotri, Ph.D. of Harvard University (2018-
Assoc. Professor Jason McCarthy, Ph.D. of Harvard Medical School (2016-2018)
Assoc. Professor Benjamin Medoff, M.D. of Harvard Medical School (2016-2018)
Assoc. Professor Farouc Jaffer, M.D., Ph.D. of Harvard Medical School (2016-2018)
Professor Kang Moo Huh, Ph.D. of Chungnam National University (2014-2016)
Professor You Han Bae, Ph.D. of University of Utah (2013-2014)
Professor Yong-kyu Lee, Ph.D. of Korea National University of Transporttaion (2008-2014)
Professor Kwang Jae Cho, M.D., Ph.D. of Catholic University School of Medicine (2008-2014)
Professor Shahabuddin Kabir Choudhuri of Jahangirnagar University (2005-2007)<embed>