My research and supervision interests include the sociology of the internet and digital culture; raced and classed identities in everyday life; the sociology of value and evaluation; the sociology of the senses and attention; the sociology of art consumption; and sociological theory. My research (published in journals such as American Journal of Sociology; Theory, culture and Society; Ethnic and Racial Studies; Cultural Sociology, British Journal of Sociology; and American Journal of Cultural Sociology) explores questions such as:
- The role of sounds and of (actual and imagined) sonic differences in the construction of national dominance, and in the delineation of classed and raced symbolic boundaries in everyday life.
- The influence of electronic data-objects and the algorithmic design of digital platforms (such as Facebook) on political homophily; the use of material evidence in informal everyday interactions; people's engagement with their past (i.e. personal memory); definitions of intimacy; and the emergence of increased productivity due to the value of data-objects in networked economies.
- identifying new social scripts that have developed while camera phones were introduced into sundry events and life spheres, including pilgrimage and religious mass rituals, courtship, erotic encounters, school classes, and criminal or military violence.
- Discursive misrepresentation of social boundaries and its consequences: what happens to ethnic identities when no language is available to discursively represent class boundaries and the latter are represented by classed ethnic categories?
- Authenticity as a new form of symbolic violence, and the structural production of inequalities in access to experienced and recognized authenticity. The role of the authenticity ethic in cultural evaluation and its influence of the dynamics of classification and evaluation struggles.
- Theoretical questions such as the relationship between morality and aesthetics and the ethical dimension of aestehtic evaluation; and the cultural dimensions in the construction of choice and choice processes.
הנחיית סטודנטים לתארים מתקדמים: אשמח להנחות מחקרים המשיקים לתחומי המחקר שלי, ובכללם: הסוציולוגיה של ערך והערכה; הסוציולוגיה של האינטרנט ותרבות דיגיטלית; זהויות מוגזעות וממועמדות בחיי יומיום; הסוציולוגיה של החושים ושל הקשב; צריכת אמנות; ותיאוריה סוציולוגית. רעיונות יפים משמחים אותי