Leo Grimaldi, MD, MPH, EMBA
(857)-247-3959 ● Leo.Grimaldi@mail.harvard.edu
Healthcare Executive with 10+ years of expertise in medical research, alliance management, strategic partnerships, and management consulting. Worked in fast-paced, multi-layered environments with top biopharma companies, CROs, Academic institutions, Governmental Agencies, and start-ups focusing on strategic operations, business development, digital health, and M&A strategy. National and international track record of achievements in outsourcing strategies, negotiation, and corporate development. Substantial experience in managing complex collaborations with B2B/B2B2C partners in multiple settings: academia, venture capital, small and mid-size biotechs, and multinational biopharma.
MAIN PROFESSIONAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Managed direct strategic partnerships, consulting and business development client engagements with over 70 biopharma companies (7 Big Pharma) and 200+ CROs with a distribution of 50% US / 45% EU / 5% RoW.
- Primary lead for deals ~$520MM (2016-present), responsible for account and project management, RFXs, marketing strategy, and successful team building. Led a top 10 alliance in life sciences in 2019.
- White House selected SME for Academia strategic partnerships to improve the Affordable Care Act.
- SME / KOL focusing on commercial strategy, CRO management, process improvement, and M&As in biopharma.
- Led a SAB composed of 6 Nobel Prize Laureates to deliver scientific breakthroughs directly to patients.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
2021 – Present Director – Business Performance
Amgen (Thousand Oaks, USA)
- Part of Amgen’s Results Delivery Office (RDO) providing internal/external strategy for large scale company-wide transformation that is inclusive of all functions, regions and products. My role is focused on supporting critical enterprise-wide initiatives, putting together strategic and operational plans, setting up high performing teams, and ensuring successful launch, execution and target achievement.
2019 – 2021 US Director – Alliance Management
Syngene International (Boston, USA)
- Strategic Alliances Head in charge of managing a complex, multi-faceted pipeline of 50+ industry partnerships, including academic institutions, CROs/CMOs, and biopharma companies.
- Lead liaison leading the efforts to establish a fully virtual biotech company backed with $1 B from venture capital funds.
2017 – 2019 Director – Business Strategy and Alliances
Science Exchange (Boston, USA)
- BD / Strategic Alliances in charge of account engagement and management with 10+ industry partnerships.
- Cross-collaborative Lead working closely with Digital Innovation, DnA, BD and Commercial, R&D, Procurement, Finance, Legal and Compliance, and Innovation teams.
- Worked closely with in-house team managing ~3000 Biopharma companies, start-ups, CROs and academic institutions alliances.
2010 – 2017 Co-Founder & Board Member
Innovare Consulting Partners, INC (formerly Grimaldi Consulting Group, LLC) (Boston, USA)
- Guiding a team of consultants on engagements with pharmaceuticals/biotechnology companies, start-ups, CROs, and academic institutions on strategic partnerships, leadership development, M&A strategies, business development, and innovation;
- Planning, strategy, and execution of global strategies to solve complex commercial an alliance operations, across departments, in Top 50 Biotech and Pharma companies.
2011 – 2017 Instructor – Business and Negotiation | Healthcare Leadership (Part-Time)
Harvard University (Cambridge, USA)
- Faculty member leading sessions in Healthcare Business, Leadership, Negotiations and Conflict Resolution, Health Policy, and Health Care Systems Reforms at Harvard University.
2014 & 2016 Consultant – Health Policy & Partnership Strategy
White House – The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (Washington DC)
Massachusetts Department of Public Health – Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund (Boston, MA)
- Worked closely with the Director of the Health and Human Services, Dr. Howard Koh, supporting strategic alliances for the United States Health Care Reform;
2013 – 2014 Senior Manager – Harvard Global Partnership Initiative
Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University (Boston, MA)
2009 – 2013 Physician, Co-Principal Investigator & Post-Doctoral Fellow
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School (Boston, USA)
2005 – 2007 Chief Medical Coordinator & Mission Manager
Doctors Without Borders (South America & Central America)
- EXECUTIVE MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (Quantic School of Business – 2021)
- MASTER OF PUBLIC HEALTH – BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT (Harvard University – 2014)
- CLINICAL & POPULATIONS RESEARCH DEGREE (Harvard University, Harvard Medical School – 2012)
- MEDICAL DOCTOR DEGREE (Rosario National University, School of Medical Sciences – 2010)
- EPIDEMIOLOGIST DEGREE (Rosario National University, School of Medical Sciences – 2007)
- BS HEALTHCARE SCIENCES (Rosario National University, School of Medical Sciences – 2006)